Nipinnawasee (formerly, Nipinnawassee, Nippinnawasee, and Nippinnawassee) is a census-designated place in Madera County, California. It is located 1 mile (1.6 km) southeast of Miami Mountain in the Sierra Nevada, 14 miles (22.5 km) from Mariposa, at an elevation of 2930 feet (893 m).
The town was named about 1908 by Edgar B. Landon who brought the name from Michigan, where, according to the Native Americans of his native district, it means “plenty of deer”. The name was accepted by the Post Office in 1915.
A post office operated at Nipinnawasee from 1912 to 1961. Unfortunately, it was destroyed in 1961 when a fire consumed the entire town in just 15 minutes. Nipinnawasee proper was never rebuilt, although people continue to live in the area for the incredible views of the Sierras alone. Most residents “commute” into Oakhurst, just 15 minutes away.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.